Our goal is to convince Kansas to stop administering Crosscheck and instead use an existing, well-designed and executed alternative called Electronic Registration Information Center (ERIC) for voter list maintenance.
Oversight of Crosscheck
Until Crosscheck ends, we will work with the Kansas legislature to establish appropriate changes to and oversight of Crosscheck to protect American voters. A program with the potential to take away the right to vote of many millions of Americans should be transparent and careful. Examples of oversight we would advocate for:
Changes to Crosscheck
- require that states who do not provide SSN4 be excluded from Crosscheck analysis
- require that records with missing SSN4 be excluded from analysis
- require that records with mismatched SSN4 or middle name be excluded from Crosscheck reports returned to states
Reporting requirements for crosscheck
- provide each state quality of match score for each record, and provide each state statistics about the aggregate quality of match of records received
- require that quality of match statistics be included in any public reporting of Crosscheck's data.
- require that each member state report back annually to Kansas and publicly the list maintenance activities that result from that year's Crosscheck report, categorized based on quality of match
- As we are told that states find Crosscheck of value, Kansas should no longer bear the full expense of Crosscheck. Cost should be split equally among all member states.
Until Crosscheck ends, we encourage voters to launch grassroots campaigns to Leave Crosscheck in their states and switch to an existing, well-designed and executed alternative called Electronic Registration Information Center (ERIC) for voter list maintenance. (Eight of the 28 Crosscheck states use both Crosscheck and ERIC.).
Your help is needed!
- If you live in a Crosscheck state, share this website with your state legislators and tell them you want to #LeaveCrosscheck
- If you live in a state that isn't yet using ERIC, share ericstates.org with your legislators and tell them you want to join ERIC.
- Kansas residents, share this site with your state legislators and ask why Kansas is paying the full cost for all 28 member states
- Share this website with other voters
- Share this website with members of the media
- Follow @LeaveCrosscheck @IndivisibleChi @Greg_Palast
START OR JOIN A GRASSROOTS CAMPAIGN TO LEAVE CROSSCHECK
- Illinois voters, get involved in the Indivisible Chicago campaign to have Illinois #LeaveCrosscheck
- Voters in other Crosscheck states, EMAIL ME!. I will either hook you up with people already active in your state, or help you get a movement started. Look at Indivisible Chicago's approach for ideas, but you will need to customize based to your state's elections system.
- Notify us of other groups groups or individuals who are also organizing against Crosscheck. We will track and promote these efforts so everyone knows who to contact. We were delighted earlier this year to find fellow travelers @Indivisiblechi, and we suspect there are other groups already organizing to end Crosscheck.